Week 3 or 4
My father used to say to me, the sun comes up and the sun goes down. In other words, you can count on this each day. If I couldn’t focus on anything else, I could observe these two certainties even if it was raining, snowing, sleeting, or a bright sunny day. He was right!
Since my first piece entitled Week 1 – Wake Up Call, there have been many other reflections and happenings. These changes and awarenesses for me have consisted of these:
- a suggested practice of gratitude every morning with my colleagues to start our work day
- we are among the few who are considered essential services and continue to have a job to drive to and show up during the week – we’ve gone through feelings of guilt and gratefulness, and our workload has increased as we do our best to take care of the many Guardians who are caring for the many who have no one else to comfort, guide and tend to their needs. We all feel that this service is very humbling and we are all very grateful to work with such loving individuals.
- face masks (if you are fortunate to have one) are worn daily when going out into the public for grocery shopping, a walk for exercise depending upon whether or not we are in a place of contact with others
- hand washing is paramount
- do not touch your face
- wash your work clothes each day
- keeping the distance between ourselves is very important
- Shelter in Place means one must stay in the confines of their home or land if you are fortunate to have land or a neighborhood to walk in
- there is no testing available as of yet for all personnel
- nurses, doctors, caregivers, pharmacists, clerks in the grocery store, hardware store do not have face masks or gloves
- a cure or vaccine has not been created yet
- there is no definitive timeline as to when life as we were living it will return
Gratitude/ Lessons learning
As I read my daily devotionals and meditated upon what I gleaned, what I am learning during this pandemic in my dot on the globe, my observations and reflections consists of some of these:
- The air has never been cleaner
- The sound of stillness while strange, allows me to listen to the earth, the birds, the water in our pond as it flows from the waterfall
- How essential it is to check on the heart and mind of those around me – calls me to create notes or cards of love – to connect with my heart and prayer
- I pray each morning and night and have posted to FaceBook at 9 pm Prayer and Meditation for all who wish to join me for 3 minutes or more for our world
- Gratitude for what we have is essential
Lastly, I would like to share a Prayer with you that sums up what is in my heart and mind.
Prayer during a time of Unknowingness
Dear God, True Source,
Please hear the prayers of many for our world, for the hungry, the homeless, our families, children, neighbors, friends and those we know and those we don’t.
There is much to be grateful for and much we have taken for granted. Forgive us for any prejudices and any unkind words spoken or unspoken. Forgive us for past or future excess in our life. As I write this I remember Jesus saying just ‘come and follow me’. They didn’t pack a basket, bag, suitcase – life was walked in Faith that all would be well. And all was well.
Please shower the earth with your Grace.
Forgive us for those we have not taken care of and for our world and its pain and suffering that so many have ignored its cries.
May peace, health, love and healing return to all beings and all living things of the earth. May we never take for granted again that which has been so beautifully provided by you for us. May we share and exchange words of kindness like the birds who fly effortlessly through the sky and converse every morning with politeness.
The Golden Rule: Do unto other as you would have them do unto you.
Thank you Father. – Amen